3/4 cup dried prunes, pitted
3/4 cup dried apricots (or mangos, pears, apples, raisins or other dried fruits)
2 cups plus 1 tablespoon sifted flour, divided
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
2/3 cup packed brown sugar
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 pound plus 4 tablespoons butter, softened
3/4 cup sugar
3/4 cup milk
1 teaspoon vanilla
6 tablespoons melted butter
1/3 cup chopped walnuts
1. Cover prunes and apricots (or other dried fruit) with boiling water. Let stand 5 minutes. Drain and chop finely.
2. In small bowl, sift 2 cups flour with baking powder and salt.
3. In another small bowl, combine brown sugar with remaining tablespoon flour and cinnamon. Set aside.
4. Cream butter until fluffy. Add 3/4 cup sugar, mixing well. Add eggs, one at a time, beating until light.
5. At low speed, add flour mixture to butter mixture altrnating with milk and vanilla until just blended.
6. Fold in chopped fruit.
7. Pour a third of batter into greased 9-inch tube pan. Spread evenly and sprinkle with a third of brown sugar mixture.
Drizzle with a third of melted butter. Repeat for 2 additional layers.
Top with chopped nuts. Bake in a preheated 350-degree oven for 55 minutes or until inserted tester comes out clean. Cool on rack for 10 minutes. Remove cake from pan and return to rack to cool thoroughly.
Serves 12 to 15.